Thursday, February 02, 2006

Some problems you can step on

[Contains REAL Investigative Journalism!]

One day several years ago I happened to be looking at the bottom of my foot and noticed a little tiny pit, smaller than the size of a pin head. I was mildly intrigued but soon forgot about it. Over time I checked my foot pit every once and a while and when it started getting bigger I thought to myself, "Why, this must be a plantar wart!"

And so it was. Is.



I've messed with it. I've stuck a pin into it and I've tried to snip it off with nail clippers. I've even gotten one of those home kits and tried to chemically freeze it away. (You'd think it was a little container of nuclear waste the way they've packaged the freezy stuff.) And just the other day it occurred to me that it might be sort of interesting to find out what the hell caused this tiny blight.

The first thing I found out is that, "...standing and walking often causes them to grow into deep layers of the skin." (!!) I don't think I want that. I then found out that they are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. Yuck. Wondering how I got to be so lucky as to catch this little booger, I read further, "Risk factors include repeated HPV exposure (e.g., walking barefoot in public locker rooms and common bathing areas)." Whoa there, I think we found it! I've always thought my dad was a bit fussy in his insistence in wearing rubber flip flops into the shower but I think he may have been onto something. I'm wondering now if I'll be able to find me some of those to keep in my gym bag, it being the dead of winter...

They are "similar in structure to an iceberg...Often, the portion of the wart under the skin is at least twice as big as the part you can see." Holy shit. I am totally grossed out now.

But here's the best news: "If left untreated, plantar warts can grow up to 1 inch in circumference and may spread into clusters (called mosaic warts)." Mosaic warts! Now that sounds downright artistic. I can't wait to see if I can develop me some mosaic warts.

Now we'll get to the treatment. "Over-the-counter medications contain chemicals that destroy skin cells (e.g., acid) and may damage healthy tissue surrounding the wart. Self-treatment for plantar warts using an over-the-counter preparation is not recommended." Uh oh.

Other professionally administered alternatives include mild acid, laser treatments, cryotherapy, or surgical removal. Heh heh - now I'll bet you're wanting to learn a little bit about...

Prevention: "Avoid walking barefoot whenever possible." (Rats. I love to go barefoot.) Now this one's just insulting - "Change shoes and socks daily." And even worse - "Avoid direct contact with warts on other persons or on other parts of the body." WTF!!?? What on earth would make them think anybody is going to go around touching OTHER PEOPLE'S WARTS??!!

Okay - now I know way more about this than I ever wanted to. What about you?

All information I got came from here:

The Podiatry Channel!!
Now that's some television!

5 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

LOL! One of my sons had tons of them - we were told to use Compound W and cover with DUCT TAPE. Repeat every day. It takes some time, but works.

But ewww.

I like your blog! Stopped by on Gnightgirls' reco....

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...



I have been suffering from (WARTS) disease for the last 3 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i was searching on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (WARTS) by this Man Dr.Voodoo and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr.Voodoo telling him
about my (WARTS) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm
i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr.Voodoo assured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email him on (voodoospell10@gmail.com) or call his mobile or WHATSAPP (+2348135790702) I am indeed grateful for the help, i will forever recommend
you to my friends!!

DOCTOR VOODOO CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH ALL THIS FOLLOWING PROBLEM
1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. ALS
4. Hepatitis
5.LOVE SPELL
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GOOD WORK..

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Love said...

I was cured from HERPES while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HERPES cure has be found,while i was once an HERPES positive i live with this disease for more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HERPES) true the help of a man called Dr azen with his herbal root herbs medicine. while i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who use Sir Dr azen to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again,thanks once again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can contact Sir Dr azen on his mail ( azentemple@gmail.com) or call him or whatsapp on +2349038299828 and i will not stop thanking you DR azen for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no that you are in existence , thanks for your audience and i hope you find help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar problem like HERPES,CANCER,DIABETICS.do not waste time to contact him now his WhatsApp +2349038299828 and his email( azentemple@gmail.com)

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Love said...

I was cured from HERPES while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HERPES cure has be found,while i was once an HERPES positive i live with this disease for more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HERPES) true the help of a man called Dr azen with his herbal root herbs medicine. while i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who use Sir Dr azen to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again,thanks once again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can contact Sir Dr azen on his mail ( azentemple@gmail.com) or call him or whatsapp on +2349038299828 and i will not stop thanking you DR azen for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no that you are in existence , thanks for your audience and i hope you find help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar problem like HERPES,CANCER,DIABETICS.do not waste time to contact him now his WhatsApp +2349038299828 and his email( azentemple@gmail.com)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Tamara Barrow said...

I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr VOODOO., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He send natural medicine herbs to me and told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take the medicine, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen if you also need a help, you can also email him at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

 

Post a Comment

<< Home